What can I do with a Bachelor’s of Science Degree in Nutritional Sciences?
Nutrition has a wide spectrum of application in the world today. The following are some areas where nutrition serves as either primary or preparatory education:
- Dietetics, including clinical nutrition, community nutrition, nutrition education, food service management, business, and media
- Medicine and other related health professions requiring a solid background in the sciences and general humanities
- Food industry and Dietary Supplement Industry, including product development, entrepreneurism, management, and research
- Nutrition education, teaching both at an academic level as well as through community outreach programs
- Health and human services, serving cities and communities through food-related organizations or programs
- International nutrition, working with nutrition issues related to hunger, food policy, and food safety in third-world countries
- Nutritional research, incorporating knowledge from disciplines such as chemistry, biology, genetics, physiology, psychology, and sociology
What can I do with an MS or Ph.D. Degree in Nutritional Sciences?
The following are selected examples of positions held by recent advanced degree graduates of our department:
- Academia: Tenure track faculty positions at the University of North Carolina, the University of Rhode Island, The University of Georgia, Arizona State University and Springfield College plus post-doctoral positions in prestigious institutions including Harvard Medical School, Yale University, Linus Pauling Institute, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center.
- Health Care Industries: Director of Nutritional Services, Dietitian – Private Practice, Hospital or other Health Care Facility, Nutrition Education, Food Service, Outpatient Nutrition Services, Research, Administration.
- Government: Nutritionist – State Department of Health, Nutrition Educator – State Department of Education, WIC Director, School Nutritionist, Nutrition Education and Training, Nutrition Policy and Planning, Research, Administration.
- Food Industry and Dietary Supplement Industry: Product Development, Quality Control, Marketing and Sales, Scientist/Research Specialist, Administration, Production Management, Production/Owner and Operator.